Thanksgiving this year could have been a disaster. The Townsend’s had left to New York and little-sis Estelle was in Cape Cod... Which left Danielle and I, the dynamic duo, with no family to celebrate with. What were we going to do?! Feast on chicken wings and a kung-fu flick? Perhaps we could bury our miseries in a 12-inch pumpkin pie, fresh from Costco...
I mulled over our bleak possibilities, occasionally thinking back to past thanksgivings. Last year on the beach in Bali, a few years ago at the US Deputy Chief of Mission's house in Jakarta and then my first Thanksgiving in America... All those past experiences reminded me how far I have come, how much I have already accomplished and of course, how much further I have yet to climb. So, if worse came to worse, Danielle and I would spend our Turkeyday with each other. I reminded myself that we had a roof over our heads, money for the Costco pie and most importantly, heat for our cold little Asian bodies. I am most thankful for the warmth.
Come the day of guiltless gorging though, we found ourselves accepting a very gracious invitation for a Thanksgiving meal. My roommate Tashi had a friend from work who pressed his parents to take us three hobos in for the evening - an invitation we gladly accepted. (Thanksgiving Miracle #1) So after an hour of three girls trying to dominate the bathroom, we headed over to Trevor Barnyak's house for Thanksgiving.
Arriving a half hour early, (Thanksgiving miracle #2) I could not have imagined what a fantastic time we would have. The Barnyak’s are warm, loving people with big hearts and even bigger appetites for good food. The 26.8 pound turkey was cooked by the master chef (a vegetarian – Thanksgiving Miracle #3) along with the different types of potatoes and grilled veggies. Yum!

Is that a turkey, or ostrich?
We gathered around the table with some of the Barnya
k's family friends - the Alterm
an's, who were also very warm, fun loving people. (Lots of 'kids' around my age, so there was a good balance at the table). Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Atheists, who says we can't get along? (Thanksgiving Miracle #4) Conversation at the table was varied and very interesting... From Brian Alterm
an and his Classic Islam class (which Danielle promptly quizzed him on), Ken Alterm
an and his recycled retail business (did you know there are 1000
retail apparel stores for one second-hand shop?) and Beth Alterm
an on her adventures as an analyst. Jim Barnya
k also gave valuable insights about interviewing tips, such as:
Q. What does it take to be successful?
Wrong A: Good communication skills, good organization skills, willingness to work hard.
Correct A: First of all, ask for further clarification (pipes in Ken). What type of success are you talking about?
You need three things to be successful (in your career at least)
1. You need a long-term vision. Know where you want to end up and always have that end-result in mind. You should set up incremental goals to get there, and have a development plan in place to act as a road map.
2. You need the passion and determination to work towards your goals, to meet and then exceed them. Things are not always going to be easy, interesting or fun.
3. You need the discipline to get through the mundane everyday tasks and to execute everything perfectly.
4. One that I think he missed though would be patience (but perhaps it goes under discipline). Things don’t progress immediately overnight, but since you’re in it everyday, it’s hard to watch it grow.
Another fun Question and Answer:
"Why are you applying for this position?"
"Because my astrological signs are strong this year."

Beth Alterman, Emil
y Barnyak and Ta
shi Kenzom
In the end, I truly believe everyone had a fantastic time. I got to meet new friends and enjoy the magic of Thanksgiving, Trevor got three hot girls to spice up his holiday and both the Barnyak’s and the Alterman’s got a familiar holiday with a little twist.
So after devouring wonderful food and great conversation, we ended up playing Cranium, eating too much pie and picking out songs to play at Ken and Jennifer's huge birthday bash next month. I realized that we arrived at 3:30 and found ourselves still laughing and eating at 9:30... A solid six hours of food, wine and merriment.
As I sit back and relish the experience, I realized that we strangers had found so much in common and delighted in each others company… Which is our Thanksgiving miracle #5.
Gobble gobble to you all!
6:49 PM
Glad that I have your blog location now! Happy holidays.