When to comes to international landmarks, I'm sure certain buildings come to mind. Structures such as the Eiffel Tower in Paris evokes romantic emotions, Big Ben in London portrays the rise and fall of the British empire and even the Petronas towers in Kuala Lumpur serves to push Malaysia into the new millennium. But when it comes to emerging markets, Shanghai's Pearl Tower on the Bund most strikingly exemplifies the burgeoning developing-world economy. The tower looks like a futuristic roman candle, complete with revolving lights and tall concrete support beams. At night, the tower has a starring role in the Vegas-by-water light show that attracts locals and tourists alike to dine on the banks of the Bund. I've heard that people either hate or love the tower, and I myself give it two thumbs up. Come on. It's pink.

Although Shanghai was very overwhelming in its size, like any big city, you could venture to certain districts for personalized and intimate experiences. the French Concession is one such neighborhood, mostly noted for its wonderful architecture and sumptuous food.
Here I am going out for dinner!

David and I after a 7-year hiatus. He used to sneak my sister and I to a Chinese restaurant at the Mulia Hotel in Jakarta to eat during Ramadan. Bad Muslims!
There's a lot of red used in traditional Chinese culture, from their traditional dress to the paper lanterns strung up on the roof lines of the city. I love their use of the color, as it brings vibrancy and warmth to the otherwise rigid surroundings. Gold is also a major color, as it represents wealth and prosperity.
Overall, I think what amazed me most about Shanghai is how globalization is affecting this Asian tiger. Gone are the days of rickshaws and push-bikes, which were replaced by Audi A4's and motorized bicycles. Traditional eateries are now hawking their wares along side global brands such as Mc Donalds and KFC, while the infiltration of Nike, Ermenegildo Zegna and Juicy Couture inspired the creation of local luxury brands such as Shanghai Tang.
As China continues to grow and prosper, I'll be interested to see its ever expanding influence on the world. Although they are investing heavily in hardware (infrastructure) it's their burgeoning community of entrepreneurs I'm more interested in. From what little I've seen, it's a billion people now free to seek their fortunes. Watch out!
Although Shanghai was very overwhelming in its size, like any big city, you could venture to certain districts for personalized and intimate experiences. the French Concession is one such neighborhood, mostly noted for its wonderful architecture and sumptuous food.
Now, when it comes to traveling I do have some advice: find people to explore with. I was fortunate enough to have a great group of friends stationed all around the world, so finding a high school buddy "in the neighborhood" was pretty easy for me. For those of you traveling in different circles, stay at youth hostels and pair up with other adventurers for a fun time out. I truly believe that sharing experiences with others increases the richness of your travels. As a guideline, I usually try to hang out with three different people in a new city - since it gives me three different perspectives on the same space.
While in Shanghai, I was able to spend time with David Yang, a former JIS Dragon himself who currently lives in Hongkong. David took me to the "touristy" areas of the city, including some of the most popular temples and to the zigzag bridge.
While in Shanghai, I was able to spend time with David Yang, a former JIS Dragon himself who currently lives in Hongkong. David took me to the "touristy" areas of the city, including some of the most popular temples and to the zigzag bridge.
David and I after a 7-year hiatus. He used to sneak my sister and I to a Chinese restaurant at the Mulia Hotel in Jakarta to eat during Ramadan. Bad Muslims!
As China continues to grow and prosper, I'll be interested to see its ever expanding influence on the world. Although they are investing heavily in hardware (infrastructure) it's their burgeoning community of entrepreneurs I'm more interested in. From what little I've seen, it's a billion people now free to seek their fortunes. Watch out!