Hey Bang Bakso!

Monday, April 28, 2008 10:40 AM Posted by javagold

Bakso my friends, is Indonesia's version of Grandma's chicken soup. It consists of two types of noodles and balled-up ground beef in a steamy broth laced with garlic and onions. I usually add some sweet soy sauce and sambal for a little spice. There are many great Bakso houses around Jakarta, but stick with the established ones - the street vendors will give you a stomach ache you won't soon forget.

The delicate fragrance of the broth, the slippery noodles and the spice of the chili reminds me of my childhood. Danielle (my twin sister and I) would run to the front gate with bowls in our hands when we heard the Bakso man go by with his Bakso cart. Everyday we'd chant "Bang Bakso, Bang Bakso" (Bakso Man) and push our bowls through the front gate for him to fill. We'd then enjoy the noodley goodness on the front steps of the house.

Inevitably, Bang Bakso would approach my mother at the end of the week with a bill. "What's this for?" She would ask. He'd look at her with wide eyes and reply, "The twins, Ibu, the twins!" Ahhh, that was my first experience with charging to an account.

So while you're in Indonesia, please make sure you try this delectable treat!

4 Response to "Hey Bang Bakso!"

  1. tchaka owen Says:

    Wow, this sure brings up good old memories!! I'm a little different though: I ONLY ate bakso off the carts. I never got sick, but I did end up with the H.Pylori bacteria later in life and for all I know it was from bakso. All I know is whenever I heard the the Bakso Man yell (which sounded a lot like "Aaaoh!"....kinda like he was talking to Chewbacca), I'd jump out there with my Rp150 (this is back when Rp960 = USD1) and get a bowl.

    We always avoided the beef because the rumor is that they were cow testicles and neither my friends nor I found that appetizing.

    Mmmmmmmmmm, bakso..........

  2. Anonymous Says:

    Oh you just reminded me of my last trip to Jakarta where my girl friends and I had Bakso for lunch.
    Having heard so much of Bakso I couldn't wait for savour a bowl, but did not know which restaurants would have good Bakso. We inquired and a shop assistant at Mayestic reccomended Mi Boy. I had a bowl of 10 meatballs! Yummy.
    I can just imagine you two Bule girls with your bowls like Oliver Twist. Cute.

  3. Anonymous Says:

    Looks yummy! I am looking forward to my year off and getting together with you in Shanghai!

  4. Anonymous Says:

    The twins! thats so cute.