Today I saw something that both moved me and made my heart sink.
Aboard my bus during the usual morning commute, I saw a cop car with his lights on speeding down the express lanes. Shoot, I thought. Someone's in trouble. Then there came another. Shoot, I thought, someone is getting arrested! And then another, and another, and another, and another, and another until there was a river of flashing blue and white lights snaking down the freeway. You could see the lights reflecting off the windows of the cars passing by, off the polished glass buildings, off the glasses of the woman a row ahead of me. It was a sight like I've never seen before.
An officer died yesterday, and his funeral procession swelled to 2000 strong. The procession I saw was only the Shoreline precinct driving down to pay their respects. I almost wept, thinking about the wife and 9-month old daughter he left behind, thinking about the public outpouring of grief and support... Thinking about how short my life is and if I'm doing my part to build a stronger and safer community. I thought about what I wanted in life, how short it is, and thought to myself, if you were to die tomorrow... Would you have any regrets?
Aboard my bus during the usual morning commute, I saw a cop car with his lights on speeding down the express lanes. Shoot, I thought. Someone's in trouble. Then there came another. Shoot, I thought, someone is getting arrested! And then another, and another, and another, and another, and another until there was a river of flashing blue and white lights snaking down the freeway. You could see the lights reflecting off the windows of the cars passing by, off the polished glass buildings, off the glasses of the woman a row ahead of me. It was a sight like I've never seen before.
An officer died yesterday, and his funeral procession swelled to 2000 strong. The procession I saw was only the Shoreline precinct driving down to pay their respects. I almost wept, thinking about the wife and 9-month old daughter he left behind, thinking about the public outpouring of grief and support... Thinking about how short my life is and if I'm doing my part to build a stronger and safer community. I thought about what I wanted in life, how short it is, and thought to myself, if you were to die tomorrow... Would you have any regrets?

6:00 AM
NO Regrets. I have met people and done things in my life that many only dream of or wish to do. at this point in time and in my life i could die knowing that it has been full and good. things my change in the future but i chose to try and live one day at a time and to see where each those days may take me
1:08 PM
Hi Ria,
In my career as a fire fighter, I had occasion to attend a number of similar funerals for my brother fire fighters, including my best friend. Almost got to attend my own a couple of times, as guest of honor. It is a very powerful and emotional thing to be at a service attended by a thousand brothers, every one aware that, "There, but for the grace of God, go I."
I am minded though, that for every one of those high profile, line of duty fatalities, there are thousands of other funerals. Funerals of people who have lived long lives or short, who have tried to make a better world, provide for their families, help their friends and neighbors. Sometimes the funerals are well attended, sometimes there are but few mourners, but their life and their death are no more or less important. What counts is their contribution, whether known or unknown. Hopefully they, and we, will live well, do our best, and die regretted.
Season's Greetings to all of you young ladies with,
Much Love and Many Hugs,
Uncle Steve & Aunt Adrienne
3:28 AM
My wife, Mrs. F, recently met Steve Cox at a community meeting and was really impressed with his enthusiasm and commitment. It's very sad, indeed.