This year I decided I would commit myself to only on resolution: Listen to my heart. That's all I have to do... So in the 7 or so days I've been listening to it, it's really had a lot to say.
A LOT.
Basically, I let surface the fact that I was miserable at my job, that I wanted to take on a new direction and feel free again. So today I gave my notice and will be leaving on January 31st to London, which is my first stop in a long year of travelling around the world.
I'm completely happy with my decision and I'm already getting rid of stuff in my apartment... Since I have to reduce my whole life down to a suitcase. (For a girl, that's a really hard thing to do). But I'm sure this is the right thing for me to do, and I'm excited for the endless possibilities ahead.
I don't regret any of the hard work I experienced in this last year, but I'm ready to move on. For those of you out there who aren't listening to that little voice inside of you - I hope I can be of some inspiration. Go chase those crazy dreams of yours! Life is no dress-rehearsal, you got one shot. Make it count.
With much love for all of you,
Happy New Year,
Riani
A LOT.
Basically, I let surface the fact that I was miserable at my job, that I wanted to take on a new direction and feel free again. So today I gave my notice and will be leaving on January 31st to London, which is my first stop in a long year of travelling around the world.
I'm completely happy with my decision and I'm already getting rid of stuff in my apartment... Since I have to reduce my whole life down to a suitcase. (For a girl, that's a really hard thing to do). But I'm sure this is the right thing for me to do, and I'm excited for the endless possibilities ahead.
I don't regret any of the hard work I experienced in this last year, but I'm ready to move on. For those of you out there who aren't listening to that little voice inside of you - I hope I can be of some inspiration. Go chase those crazy dreams of yours! Life is no dress-rehearsal, you got one shot. Make it count.
With much love for all of you,
Happy New Year,
Riani

3:15 PM
Hey Riani,
I just talked to you an hour ago and you gave me the 411 on your decision to travel for the next year. I firmly believe that you must live a life of happiness and if your heart tells you to explore the world for a while, then that's what you must do. I hope you'll keep everyone updated with your adventures.
Side note: I resolved in 1987 never to make New Year's resolution again. And I've kept it!
7:01 AM
Dear Riani,
Bravo and congratulations! Just read about your hike.
If there’s one thing that is constant in life, it is change. The faster you adapt to the change the better life should be. You have to move on to be able to achieve greater success. Change can be painful but if it has to be done, it has to be done. Ma is now going through that pain after 28 years in one organization. I think she is slowly beginning to enjoy her new “position” where she now has to seek others as compared to when she was in her last position as Editor of the paper where and she was more often than not, “sought after”. It is obviously a complete turnaround.
I have been more fortunate in that in my 35 years of working life, I have had to change 8 times as I moved and worked through an equal number of companies. The longest I stayed was 10 years and the shortest…believe it or not, 75 days. The point is, at the end of the day we have a choice. We would not be doing ourselves justice if we stay on somewhere we are not happy knowing fully well there we can be happier elsewhere.
And now, after 4½ years of being on my own, and I must add that this is the second time I am doing it, I must say I am enjoying every moment in spite of the fact that I had to give up my company car and driver which came with my last job. I have never been happier even though I may be driving my 40 year old junk And I never imagined before this that I’d be doing the things that I am doing now if I wasn’t bold enough to make the change. Of course, I am truly blessed…with what I am able to do now…and more importantly with the lovely family that I have (and that of course includes my Townshend daughters).
Follow your heart. Think of ALL the reasons why you can do it instead of thinking of all the reasons why you can’t do it, like what most people would tend to do. I wish you all the best and I will always pray for your success and well being.
Btw, Ma and I were in Bangkok for four days through last weekend. We thought of you as we walked the streets there and wondered whether you were at the places we were at. (We were there on a paid-for holiday…this is but one example of the things that I could never have imagined that I am capable of doing.) Come March, we’ll be off to Beijing on yet another sojourn! And Ma probably told you that we were in Jakarta in January!
I am sure Ma must have said it, but I’ll say it again anyway. We’ll be more than happy to have you “home” anytime you are ready.
Love,
Ayah.
7:02 AM
Good on ya, Riani!
Please keep us posted on your adventures.(Hope we can get together before you leave.)
Much Love and Many Hugs from,
Aunt Adrienne and Uncle Steve
(Who've been there and done that and loved every minute !)
7:03 AM
Hi Riani,
That's a radical change, but an exciting one. I'm somewhat jealous that I'm not in a situation to make a move like you have. Between graduate school and a significant other, I can't just get up and leave. But I have so many destinations and experiences in mind.
Try to come visit before going to London, we're on the way. Also, keep me posted on where you'll be in the world, because I may be able to meet up with you at random times because I intend to travel as much as I can within the limits I have imposed upon myself.
I'm proud of you.
- Fazeli
7:03 AM
Good Luck Ria!
7:04 AM
Happy N.Y. ! I would suggest a nice backpack for extended travel ! .... & cheap accomodation !
I'm finally heading off myself next year ! .....& can't wait to do so !! Would love to catch up with you somewhere in the world !!
p.s. That's a great resolution !
I'm looking forward to meeting you in an amazing country someday !