skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Flowers a-bloom on the University of Washington campus
Whenever people hear me mention that I live in Seattle, they are always quick to respond, "Oh, it rains there a lot, right?" My usual reply to them is "Oh yeah, all the time. Buckets and buckets, it's gloomy and cold most the year."
Of course, as any Seattleite would know, I'm lying through my teeth, and for perfectly good reason. We want you people to stop moving here, so that locals like me may finally afford to purchase a home.
In actuality, Seattle has some of the most beautiful summers of anywhere I've ever been (and trust me, I've been around the block). It's constantly around 75-80 degrees with little to no humidity, and a gentle breeze coming off the water (which we have in every direction). Our summers don't usually start until late July, and push all the way to early September. Summers that consist of boating activities, festivals, camping and hiking... Or, if you're more like me, ferry rides across the sound, late night coffee in an outdoors cafe and walks around Greenlake.
But the rain, you ask? What about the rain? Alright - so I admit it does rain here and it does get overcast and gloomy. New York and Chicago statistically get more then we do though, the difference being that our rains 'mist' for days (and weeks as we saw last winter).
But that's what we have coffee shops for, how do you think Starbucks got so popular?
So that's my two-cents on my beloved city. So please come and visit, I would love to have you. Just make sure you have a return ticket.