Put your Vera Wang flat wear away, give your dishwasher a break and wash your hands... because tonight we're eating off leaves! One of the things I love most about Asia is the mish-delish food, the hot spices, the grated ginger, the knotted pandan leaves and aromatic lemongrass. There's a great little Indian restaurant near Karen's place that has great curries that you eat off of banana leaves. I thought I would snap a few quick pictures for documentation.

Karen and I feast on the spread before us, and thank the food gods that our stomachs are made of cast-iron, because most of my wimpy American friends would have not been able to take the heat and the oilyness. (Andrew, Danielle, Jake - you guys are exceptions.)

I think dinner came out to be around $4 for everything... With such amazing prices, it's difficult to rationalize actually cooking at home, since going out is usually cheaper. The only problem with that, is Riani will balloon out again, since the food is mostly fried. (Hence trying to eat healthy.) I would also like to point out that I ran 5k yesterday, so I'm not doing so bad.
Footnote: If you haven't read the book Eats shoots and leaves, you really should. So you'll hopefully have better grammer than I, or is it me?
Karen and I feast on the spread before us, and thank the food gods that our stomachs are made of cast-iron, because most of my wimpy American friends would have not been able to take the heat and the oilyness. (Andrew, Danielle, Jake - you guys are exceptions.)
I think dinner came out to be around $4 for everything... With such amazing prices, it's difficult to rationalize actually cooking at home, since going out is usually cheaper. The only problem with that, is Riani will balloon out again, since the food is mostly fried. (Hence trying to eat healthy.) I would also like to point out that I ran 5k yesterday, so I'm not doing so bad.
Footnote: If you haven't read the book Eats shoots and leaves, you really should. So you'll hopefully have better grammer than I, or is it me?
2:35 PM
"So you'll hopefully have better grammer than me."
(You use "I" when you are the subject, and me when you are the object. The subject of your sentence is "you" (refering to the reader) so using "me" is correct.
Daddy Townsend
2:39 PM
Ahhh, Ria, you make me drool! Makes me miss Sumatra and Singapore and the food stalls. You cannot get anything properly seasoned in the United States, and even less so in Canada, where a really hot and spicy dish is two shakes of black pepper on the dish. I remember with nostalgia, the land of chili paddies and Chili Chicken in a clay pot. Yummmmmmmmmmmm! Have an extra plate or two for me. (Aunt Adrienne likes it too, but not nearly as spicy.)
Love and hugs,
Uncle Steve & Aunt Adrienne
8:19 AM
I'd say, 'Hey! I'm supposed to be on that list!"
but I guess my stomach is not made of iron...as my food allergy results came back and showed that I'm allergic to like, everything.
and I mean everything. like, I am kissing off travelling the world everything. maybe ever. :-(