A quarter century is a long time, especially when I remember being a young girl with big brown eyes and unruly hair, thinking to myself that one day I would be 16 and that was SO OLD. But after all the adventures, the heart breaks, the triumphs and the never-ending blind corners, I find myself embarking on a new chapter in my life.
I turn 25 this month and unlike most people who bemoan their eventual decline into maturity, I wholly welcome my graduation into the 25-40 check box. I'm old enough now to rent a car, date guys in their 30's (when did that happen!), or negotiate terms of employment... but most importantly, I feel more comfortable in my own skin.
What makes my birthday so special? Well, unlike most of you, I share my birthday with a woman of the same genetic DNA. Standing on the dark sandy beach of Bali on the night of our birthday, we had a candid conversation about the past 25 years. How much we've grown, how optimistic we were about the future - how damn lucky we were.
Although the Balinese backdrop was spectacular and the warm weather delightful, it was my sisters presence that made my birthday a special one. We danced in the sunset, we drank ES Kelapa Mudah (coconut milk) and walked down Kuta beach... I haven't seen either of them for 9 months, and those familiar faces always bring me joy and encourage to live my life to the fullest. Nothing like having two beautiful sisters to keep you motivated!
I find that my sisters and I have matured into very different personalities, all unique with our own individual strengths. Danielle is able to reach out to people within moments of meeting them, while Estelle shows very fierce loyalty to those she cares about. I think in the years and months that we've been apart, it's the laughter and the sibling camaraderie that I hold dearest to my heart (and miss the most).
Out for Banana Honey Pancakes at Warung Made's.
So what have I learned in my 25 years in life? Here's a very short list...
1. I learned that life is short, and it's no dress rehearsal. Go do the things you love and dream about, trust me, you won't regret it.
2. I learned that surrounding myself with people that support me, that push me to be better, that make me laugh, smile and think has made my life a fantastic experience. Seek out these people, the ones that bring out the best in you...
3. I learned that doing things that scare you show you what you're made of. Get rid of the things that distract you from who you really are... And be honest with yourself.
4. I learned that I have great friends, and the more I keep in touch, the richer my life is. Call your friends and let them know you're thinking of them.
5. I learned to be more open, to go with the flow, to listen to the opportunities abound.
So anyway, it's been a fantastic birthday and I throughly enjoyed myself. Danielle at one point wanted to rent a ship and go gallivanting like Pirates around Puget Sound, until we realized I would not be state-side for our birthday. (Can you imagine? Everyone dressed as pirates?!) Although that would have been a lot of fun, I'm glad that our birthday was so intimate, simple and oh-so-special.
Happy birthday Danielle!
I turn 25 this month and unlike most people who bemoan their eventual decline into maturity, I wholly welcome my graduation into the 25-40 check box. I'm old enough now to rent a car, date guys in their 30's (when did that happen!), or negotiate terms of employment... but most importantly, I feel more comfortable in my own skin.
What makes my birthday so special? Well, unlike most of you, I share my birthday with a woman of the same genetic DNA. Standing on the dark sandy beach of Bali on the night of our birthday, we had a candid conversation about the past 25 years. How much we've grown, how optimistic we were about the future - how damn lucky we were.
Although the Balinese backdrop was spectacular and the warm weather delightful, it was my sisters presence that made my birthday a special one. We danced in the sunset, we drank ES Kelapa Mudah (coconut milk) and walked down Kuta beach... I haven't seen either of them for 9 months, and those familiar faces always bring me joy and encourage to live my life to the fullest. Nothing like having two beautiful sisters to keep you motivated!
I find that my sisters and I have matured into very different personalities, all unique with our own individual strengths. Danielle is able to reach out to people within moments of meeting them, while Estelle shows very fierce loyalty to those she cares about. I think in the years and months that we've been apart, it's the laughter and the sibling camaraderie that I hold dearest to my heart (and miss the most).
Out for Banana Honey Pancakes at Warung Made's.So what have I learned in my 25 years in life? Here's a very short list...
1. I learned that life is short, and it's no dress rehearsal. Go do the things you love and dream about, trust me, you won't regret it.
2. I learned that surrounding myself with people that support me, that push me to be better, that make me laugh, smile and think has made my life a fantastic experience. Seek out these people, the ones that bring out the best in you...
3. I learned that doing things that scare you show you what you're made of. Get rid of the things that distract you from who you really are... And be honest with yourself.
4. I learned that I have great friends, and the more I keep in touch, the richer my life is. Call your friends and let them know you're thinking of them.
5. I learned to be more open, to go with the flow, to listen to the opportunities abound.
So anyway, it's been a fantastic birthday and I throughly enjoyed myself. Danielle at one point wanted to rent a ship and go gallivanting like Pirates around Puget Sound, until we realized I would not be state-side for our birthday. (Can you imagine? Everyone dressed as pirates?!) Although that would have been a lot of fun, I'm glad that our birthday was so intimate, simple and oh-so-special.
Happy birthday Danielle!





11:06 PM
Happy birthday to you young lady! I think it is fantastic that you got to share it with your sisters. You ladies are very lovely. I wish you the best and while I hope our paths may cross once again, I do not blame you if you never come back to Seattle. The world is much too big a place!
Sincerely,
José
1:57 AM
And 9 years ago (it was short before your birthday) I met an unhappy (at the time) girl on-line ... and now, the sprout became a beautiful orchid.
12:23 PM
Going by the time-honored "age/2 + 7" rule, you would in fact have been able to date 30-year-old men three years ago. At the moment, you have quite the choice: anywhere from 20 to 36. Any correlation to maturity is purely coincidental.
:)
12:39 AM
A very happy birthday to you. Hope you have a good one! =)