Update on Q's Surgery Etc

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 2:51 AM Posted by javagold
I am grateful that Quanxing and I were able to spend a good chunk of the day hanging out at the mall, shopping and eating. He was released from hospital day before yesterday and is doing well. Q posted to his blog earlier, and I thought I would share the story from his point of view:

Hey, haven't updated in months, but i thought I'd let everybody know what happened to me recently and why I won't be going to China to study for the next 6 months or pretty much anywhere. Last Friday, I met up with one of my friends in Malaysia, and we were planning on going to town for drinks. We were walking down a street to catch a cab from the main road, when suddenly a car pulled up in front of us and two masked men jumped out armed with parangs (large knives, sort of like a machete). I immediately told my friend to run, and I thought I would try and hold them off so she could get away. The first guy tried to get around me to go after her, but I managed to grab a hold of him. However the second attacker slashed at me, forcing me to let go. He hacked me a few times, I fell and I thought he was going to finish me off while I was on the ground, but thankfully a car drove up, scaring the two of them off. To make a long story short, I suffered two lacerations to my left arm, severing my ligament and nerves for the last 3 fingers on my left hand.
After undergoing surgery, the doctor was able to reattach the ligaments and nerves (requiring over 50 stitches) and they also fixed the minor cut on the upper arm (that needed 10 stitches). I will be in a brace for 3-6 weeks and require extensive physical therapy to regain full use of my left hand again. However, I am thankful I'm still alive and my friend did not get hurt, as these situations normally turn out much worse. But I won't be writing anymore posts for quite a while again.
So, I think it's safe to say I probably owe him my life and my safety. I got off scott-free, and I am so grateful to how lucky we were.

Quanxing is headed back to Singapore tomorrow, and I'll be headed off to bali soon enough.

Stay safe everyone!
Much love,
Riani

4 Response to "Update on Q's Surgery Etc"

  1. Wa-nde-rren Says:

    I'm glad to know he and you are both ok.

    that sucks about the surgery and the rehab, but it's great they were able to reattach the ligament and that he'll be able to use them again. much better than the alternative.

    my regards to your friend for keeping you both alive!

  2. Anonymous Says:

    Sweetie,
    Sorry I haven't written before this. I'm sooo glad you're ok. I can't begin to imagine how scary that was for you two. I feel bad for your friend but all in all I guess it could have been worse. He sounds like a brave guy. I hope you have enough emotional support over there. Wish I could give you a hug. Maybe we should try Skype or something like it some time. I'd love to talk to you. It worked really well when Andy was in KL.
    Take care of yourself.

    Gary

  3. Anonymous Says:

    Riani!!!! I am so glad you are not hurt. I read your last blog and it was very shocking. Yes, we must all appreciate life as we live it, because you never know…



    I hope Q’s physical therapy goes well! I recently fractured my right hand and the hand is a sucky place to be injured lemme tell you…



    Love, - Kiyan

  4. Stone Jackson Says:

    Glad to hear you are both ok. Much love!