Ahhh, the legendary Bondi Beach; home of great surfing, relaxed Aussie culture and the infamous deep fried mars bar with powdered sugar. One of the must-see destinations on my to-do list, Bondi is knowing for its fantastic sunsets, white powdery sand and lack of parking.
Although public transport was available to us, my friend Simon (who I met in a post office line) and I decided to walk to the beach. From the city. We're crazy. But with warm skies and charming boutiques to entertain us along the way, we easily wiled away the hours... (although in the end, we broke down and took the bus at the end - only because we were losing daylight.)
I found Bondi to be charming, but a joke beachwise - considering I lived in Florida for a few years. Still, I did enjoy the amazing views, the cool breeze and dipping my feet in the (COLD) water.
Simon's grand idea of a photograph... Although I must admit it's one of my fave's from my trip so far. Something about jumping up and down, feels so... free.
With the sun setting, you could see the houses on the cliffs light up...
It was beautiful to watch the clouds roll in and the sun turn the sky a myriad of colors.
My partner in crime, the honorable Welshman from Denbighshire, Simon Grant.
Here's a great video I took while at the beach, enjoy!
So, if you're heading to Sydney and want to check out the beach, I would suggest you:
1. Go in the summer or late spring. Winter sucks. I promise.
2. Eat a deep fried mars bar. It's insanely good, although you'll get chocolate and powered sugar everywhere.
3. Go for the cliff walk (if you're facing the ocean, it's to the right). It's a long walk, but totally worth it.
4. Take public transportation, as there will be no parking (in the summertime... although as I was there in the winter, it wasn't such a big deal).
5. Don't forget to Slip Slop Slap - Australia has one of the highest skin cancer rates in the world!
Although public transport was available to us, my friend Simon (who I met in a post office line) and I decided to walk to the beach. From the city. We're crazy. But with warm skies and charming boutiques to entertain us along the way, we easily wiled away the hours... (although in the end, we broke down and took the bus at the end - only because we were losing daylight.)
I found Bondi to be charming, but a joke beachwise - considering I lived in Florida for a few years. Still, I did enjoy the amazing views, the cool breeze and dipping my feet in the (COLD) water.
It was beautiful to watch the clouds roll in and the sun turn the sky a myriad of colors.
Here's a great video I took while at the beach, enjoy!
So, if you're heading to Sydney and want to check out the beach, I would suggest you:
1. Go in the summer or late spring. Winter sucks. I promise.
2. Eat a deep fried mars bar. It's insanely good, although you'll get chocolate and powered sugar everywhere.
3. Go for the cliff walk (if you're facing the ocean, it's to the right). It's a long walk, but totally worth it.
4. Take public transportation, as there will be no parking (in the summertime... although as I was there in the winter, it wasn't such a big deal).
5. Don't forget to Slip Slop Slap - Australia has one of the highest skin cancer rates in the world!