Bundaberg Ginger Beer

Sunday, June 24, 2007 6:07 PM Posted by javagold
Food. My love affair with food spans almost a quarter century and shows no sign of slowing down (thankfully, it doesn't show as much as it could). This trip has been especially awesome for my gastronomic tendencies, since I've found that no matter where you are, there are always intriguing local delights. Some capture your imagination (along with your stomach) and you end up craving them even after you left the country...

In London, it was the Ribena (without it, London tap water would have been even more undrinkable), chocolate digestive biscuits, and Bransdons, which is great with cheese and butter... Yum!

In Kuala Lumpur it was the awesome Teh Tarik and Roti Cenai, although too much of that and you begin to look like an American cheese wagon.

In Australia, it's been the ever-amazing Bundaberg Ginger Beer. I've never been much of fan for ginger beer (or Ginger ale, for my Yank brothers and sisters) but there's something about this stuff that is truly magical.

So magical in fact, that I think I have a problem. There's a bottle on my night-stand, empty bottles in the kitchen and half full bottles in the car. The cool amber colored liquid tastes full and bursting of delicate ginger flavor (you can actually see minute pieces floating around in the bottle!)

Here's a photo of the wonderful stuff. Interestingly enough, the bottle looks like a "stubby," which are stout bottles of beer. It's illegal for you to drink in public in Australia, so it must have looked weird - the Yanky girl walking around downtown Sydney drinking "beer".


Here's Bundaberg's Sarsaparilla beer, which looks almost identical
to the non-alcoholic ginger beer.

Did you know? Bundaberg is like Tillamook or Hollister, as the products are named after the place they are produced. (Although Hollister irritates me, since the town isn't near the water, and they make themselves out to be a surf brand).

Now, for those of you who are curious and thirsty, I found a distributor in Washington. The address is below. Go hog wild! (And those of you who work as food-buyers for Amazon, I'll be hounding you when I get back.)

Pan Pacific Trading
d/b/a Simply Australian
207 Binghampton East
Rainier
Washington 98576
Phone: 1 360 4461187
e-mail: info@simplyoz.com

More to come from the land down under!


3 Response to "Bundaberg Ginger Beer"

  1. Agen Says:

    Thank you, thank you, thank you for the tip on Bundaberg -- it is the greatest ginger beer in the world and essential for a Dark and Stormy (ginger beer and rum).

  2. Anonymous Says:

    Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Até mais.

  3. Anonymous Says:

    What better way to send you a message than through your blog! :) If only I had known that all my emails get deleted after 2.5 months, I would have not lost your email address!

    Hope you still have my email. Would love to learn when you are planning your return to London!

    Talk soon, Robert (ps might be traveling to Japan beginning of Sept. Have you been there?)