How does a Giraffe sound like?

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 2:56 PM Posted by javagold
On any given day, you can see some of Seattle's most famous pets grazing in their natural habitat. Our beloved giraffes are easily viewed from the highway, and my sisters and I usually wave to them as we drive by (usually on the way to my aunts house, where we feast on yum Indonesian food).

Danielle, curiously enough speaks Giraffenese, which sounds like a cross between a walrus and a lap-dog. (I'm still trying to get her to record it, so I can listen to it whenever I want). It's such a great (made-up) sound, that every time I see giraffes (or our crane "giraffes" at the port of Seattle) it makes me laugh and think of her.

Our lovely giraffes on the banks of Puget sound, enjoying the summer sunset.
(Picture nicked from livingwilderness.com)
Here they are, posed for a little drink on the water.

Since I've been in Australia, I seem to see many of these slender-necked giants. I started to snap photos of them, and wanted to share them with you (and you Danie!). Enjoy!


Here's the sign at the Syndey Taronga Zoo, which incidentally has the best views of the city!

Here's a cute little fella hanging out in the sunshine... Look at the views he has! That's Sidney Harbor Bridge, and the city skyline - and since he's tall, he can even see better than I could.

Here's a random book I saw while browsing at the bookstore... I love their unique body markings.

Cute little card I saw at a stationary store...

Hanging out and lookin' good.

I even saw some wooden carvings at the Rocks market one weekend. The African man selling them was nice enough to let me snap a quick picture.

After a hard day's work of looking good for the Zoo's visitors, it's time for a few munchies.

Another card, depicting Giraffes affintity for each other.

A profile shot, for good measure.

More lovey-dovey Giraffes getting' along. Now that's what you call necking!

So anyway, this post is dedicated to Danielle. If you see her, you should ask her how Giraffes sound like. It'll make you smile, well, at least it always makes me smile. =)

4 Response to "How does a Giraffe sound like?"

  1. Anonymous Says:

    And you made me smile too!

    Keep up the good work!

    Daddy Townsend

  2. Anonymous Says:

    Hey babe!

    Giraffes are awesome. I remember the ones I saw at Kruger in South Africa - they'd pause from chewing on leaves, turn to face me, as if saying "hi!", and then nonchalantly return to feeding. Awesome.

  3. Anonymous Says:

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
  4. Anonymous Says:

    Hi Ria,
    Of course you know that the giraffe is one of the three animals designed by a committee. The other two are the elephant and the camel. I'm sure you remember that you can see a zebra on almost any street corner in London.
    Sounds like you are still having a great time!
    Love and hugs,

    Uncle Steve