Not your average spud

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 5:35 PM Posted by javagold
One of the greatest things about Asia is the range of local fruits, vegetables and flowers that are indigenous to the tropics. On a trip to the wet market with my mother, I decided to snap a few photographs and document these fine specimens (and then eat them - well, at least the fruit).


Mangosteen, according to wikipedia comes from "a tropical evergreen tree, believed to have originated in the Sunda Islands and the Moluccas. The tree grows from 7 to 25 meters tall. The rind (exocarp) of the edible fruit is deep reddish purple when ripe. Botanically an aril, the fragrant edible flesh is sweet and creamy, citrusy with some peach flavor. Often heralded as the "Queen of Fruits"[1], mangosteen is closely related to other edible tropical fruits such as button mangosteen and lemondrop mangosteen."

Blah blah blah. All I know is that they stain everything bright crimson red, taste wonderful and are hard to open. (The trick is to crush it in between your palms.) My family used to buy them pingir jalan (roadside) on the way to Brastagi, a mountain resort town in northern Sumatra. I'd sit in the backseat with them, staining my face and hands. I looked like I murdered someone. It was great.

Terong Belanda is not a fruit I'm accustomed to, nor do I know how the locals consume it... But I found some interesting cocktails on a cool food blog called For the love of baking - you should check it out.


Soursop is one of those fruits I never did like... Granted, it means "acid bag" in Dutch, so you can't blame me. But this is what wikipedia has to say,

"Comparisons of its flavor range from strawberry and pineapple mixed together to sour citrus flavour notes contrasting with an underlying creamy roundness of flavour reminiscent of coconut or banana. The fruit is somewhat difficult to eat, as the white interior pulp is studded with many large seeds, and pockets of soft flesh are bounded by fibrous membranes. The soursop is therefore usually juiced rather than eaten directly."

We always had soursop juice boxes in the house, and unlike the mango or the lychee ones (which flew off the shelf) those miserable green boxes stayed in purgatory where they belonged.


Salak, otherwise known as snake fruit, is one of my favorite fruits from my childhood. You peel the snake-like skin off and eat the somewhat dry flesh within. They are small and hard, so they also make good projectiles. Not that I was throwing them at anyone... *taps fingers nervously*

Ahhhhh. Durian is the one fruit you've probably heard about. Underneath the hard husk worthy of the trebuchet is the pungent, smelly and rich flesh that made this fruit famous. In fact, the Durian is SO smelly that it's banned in many public places, such as offices, hotels and buses. For example, here's a cool photo from the Singapore MRT (Mass Rapid Transit):

(Image was nicked from wikipedia)

These days, there's a lot of buzz in the durian world. Apparently, some scientists in Thailand had the audacity to come up with a odorless version of the fruit - and now many Southeast Asians are up in arms about "the erosion of the durian culture". Since the article in the New York Times is already archived, you should check this one out, from the International Herald Tribune. Didn't think there was so much drama concerning fruit, did you?


So now we go into the flowers, which I really don't have much to say about, except that they are really beautiful. I bought a mixture of these red and orange ones for my grandmother - since I never see her and it *was* mother's day (although they don't really do mother's day in Indonesia.) In any case, she really liked them.


So these flowers (which I don't know the name of) are some of my favorite. They are very fragrant, and used in many of the weddings that I've attended. Ive never seen them in the US, so I'm thinking they are strictly a warm-climate flower. (Sorry!)


So that concludes my little fruit and flower lesson for today. I'd like to dedicate this post to Micheal Burrington, one of the grocery buyers at Amazon.com. (Reasons why are listed below)

While I worked at Amazon.com, I would stop to say hello to Mike on my morning tea rounds, as I always enjoyed his gentle nature and easy smile. We'd test each other on our knowledge of fruits and vegetables (ie: what fruits are used in Hawaaiian punch? Clue: there are seven of them*) and talk about the newest food products hitting our online site. One day, during one of those more precarious weeks, Mike called me over to his desk. Sitting on the floor was a huge box labeled "perishable", ,and inside were bunches and bunches of rambutans, which I hadn't eaten for years (since they are a tropical fruit). The gesture was not forgotten Mike, THANK YOU for making my day!

*The seven fruits are: apple, apricot, guava, orange, papaya, passion fruit and pineapple.

4 Response to "Not your average spud"

  1. ProminentMoth Says:

    Eat any pummelos?

    Jason

  2. javagold Says:

    Hi Jason, yeah I did eat some Pummelos (otherwise known as Juruk Bali or Bali fruit in these parts) and its one of my faves.

    Anyway, hope you're doing well!

  3. Anonymous Says:

    Hi Ria,
    I don't know if you are getting my occasional answers, but I'll keep trying. I did leave you a message with a couple of questions after your last post about the family.
    The white flowers above may be frangipani or plumaria.and I'm not sure about the spelling. You noticed that there was no listed penalty below the durian? That is because the penalty is 250 strokes with the cane, followed by shooting, then hanging. They are serious about durian. ;-)
    I remember your dad banned it at the Singapore place. When he went off on a flight, they'd bring in durian for a virtual feast. The day he was to return, the whole place was opened up to air out and all the evidence was taken to the garbage. I think he knew what was going on, but just let it ride.
    I get very nostalgic about the fruits and veggies down there, and the wonderful chili paddies :-) And the seafood, and the hawker's stalls, and the drinking nuts, and the...and the...
    At least I have my memories.
    As I said the other day, remember me to your mom and grandma, and give Ibu a hug from me. She is a neat lady!!!
    Love and hugs,

    Uncle Steve & Aunt Adrienne

  4. Anonymous Says:

    Riani, great blog!! You're a real little researcher you are! Lonely Planet may be the place of your next employment!!?