A mother's wish.

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 4:43 PM Posted by javagold
I wouldn't consider myself a good daughter... In fact, I would think I'm one of the worse types. I don't call home to catch up, I don't ask for any advice and I'm terribly independent. My mom (being the bestest types of moms you can get) disagrees with me though, which I am highly appreciative of.

Anyway, Mom's birthday is on the same weekend as mother's day - sorta like those poor souls who have their birthday on or around Christmas. As the only daughter in the area (Danielle and Estelle are still in Seattle), I thought I would head out to north Sumatra to see her... So over the course of 6 days, we were able to hang out and enjoy each other's company.

I would like to point out that is was the first time since I was 16 that my mother and I had uninterrupted time to spend with each other. (Hence the bad daughter comment from above). We got to know each other as adults, laugh, eat and reminiscence about my childhood. I initially had (a lot of) reservation about going to see her, but in the end, we both had a great time.

Happy birthday mom, I love you.



Mom and I laughing, after going to the salon to get our hair done. (Actually, it's more like a deep-conditioning treatment. I didn't care at all about what it did for my hair, it was the head and shoulder massage that accompanied it that I was interested in).


Mom and I at my aunt's house. One of the cool things I was able to do was alter some of my clothes while in Medan. My white dress (which I'm wearing) was cut and stitched for $1.


Mom and I on the way to the airport. My mom wore yellow, while grandma (below) wore yellow. We were a bright bunch!


I'm tiny - but as you can see, my grandmother is sooooo small! She's always asking me how much things cost, and how much money I'm spending... So I took a cue from Danielle and started making numbers up. "That shirt? It was $600 grandma... No, that's really cheap! I got it 1/2 off!" She usually gets the hint. Hahahahahahah.




5 Response to "A mother's wish."

  1. Anonymous Says:

    Hi Ria,
    If I had known you were going to see your mom and grandma, I'd have asked you to remember me to them. I love your grandma. We had a lot of fun that Ramadan. Ye gods! 15 years ago! I'll bet she still has that mischievous twinkle in her eye.
    Is she still at the big house in Medan, or back at the country house? That was a fun trip out there. I couldn't believe it when they cut down that banana tree and loaded about five hundred pounds of a banana stock on the car. I miss Sumatra, though I wouldn't be very welcome as an American any more, I imagine. Also, I've forgotten almost all the Indonesian I learned, except selamat pagi and selamat malam.

    Where are you bound next?
    Much love and many, many hugs,

    Uncle Steve & Aunt Adrienne

  2. Anonymous Says:

    Riani, you put a smile on my face with your blog! Thanks!

    I'm sure that being independent would make you a great daughter!! It's an admirable trait !!

    B xx

  3. Anonymous Says:

    Panelli! I nearly cried when i read this post... i miss mama so much.. and i bet you were the best birthday present she has ever gotten! Love you and miss you!

  4. Anonymous Says:

    That was a beautiful piece. Take care.

  5. Anonymous Says:

    I love every one of your stories. I read each one like a little novel. Thank you so much for sharing your life with me. I'm sorry I don't reply more. Keep them coming and promise me you'll be safe. Talk to you soon love.