Adventures in Scary Tanning

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 2:25 PM Posted by javagold

Danie and El Espantoso posing together for my documentation.

This adventure begins one sleepy Saturday afternoon, with my darling twin sister Danielle citing severe psychological trauma from the lack of sun (well, we do live in Seattle). Since the skies were overcast, sunning herself at a sun salon seemed like the next best logical choice. Guess who she wanted to drag along.

Now, I have never tanned in my life, and the idea of sitting in a hot glass coffin didn't sound too pleasant, but I went along for the ride anyway. Danie and I haven’t spent enough time together, and I figured it would be a good “quality bonding experience”. Not so much.

The monstrosity posted above is a top-of-the-line Italian tanning station, apparently the black diamonds of the tanning line, instead of the bunny trail I was anticipating. It closes automatically, whirrs and blinks, and has some computer-animated voice greet you and asks you to relax. It got extremely hot in their, and sweating on glass isn’t the most comfortable experience. Additionally, the light emitted by the contraption was a neon-purple…

That was the first, and most likely the last experience I will have in a tanning salon. Besides, I’m ok in my own skin, even though I inherited more of my father’s whiteness than I bargained for.


0 Response to "Adventures in Scary Tanning"