
Great Wall of China, PRC
Again, I am guilty. Some of you have been contacting me these past few weeks, concerned that I haven’t been writing. It humbles me that you’ve enjoyed these small windows into my life, and to you I must tip my hat.
My lack of frequent correspondence, I could argue, is attributed to my reverence for fully savoring my experiences these past few months… after all, indulging in the joys of eating phad thai in Bangkok or climbing the Great Wall in Beijing requires me to curb my internet addiction. But truthfully, I’m just lazy. I’ve had ample time to write, to pour my thoughts into a thick soup of wise and witty banter I’ve convinced myself you’ve become accustomed to reading word for word. (In my case, occasional brilliance and habitual delusion go hand in hand.) But I haven’t, and I’m sorry.
When my pen is forced, my experiences lose their beauty, their courage, their romance. I’ve been trying to purvey my stories in a methodical and linear manner, which takes the passion out of my woven words, so I’m going for a different style now - one that brings out the Hemmingway in me, the poetry of Whitman or the visual imagery of Rockwell.
I left the Forbidden City a few days ago for the Emerald one, which concludes the most amazing chapter of my life so far. Family obligations called me back, but it’s allowing me to gather all my experiences and formulate my next move. I feel as though I’m on the brink of something big, and for the first time ever, I am unafraid. This started as a year’s odyssey, but now I know it’s only the beginning of a life-long obsession. Life is the real adventure, and my posts will only get more interesting.
I’ll be writing from the fantastic coffee shop down my street in North Seattle. Come visit if you’re in town!
My love, my respect and adoration,
Riani
Posted in
Asia,
Listening to my heart: My year of travel
4:58 PM
Let me know when you want to get together! I'm super-busy, but we
should do dinner or something.
-JRC
4:59 PM
Riani, I like the way you write & admire your travels. And always enjoy your blogs.
I understand you want to remain in the enchanted moment and somehow not bring it to earth or into a defined event or experience. As these things continue to affect us it is hard to feel that they are over, & in fact they aren't. The effect on us stays with us like a song frames a time, or a smell recalls a memory. It changes us in some ways, and we are better for it.
You paint lovely pictures with your photos and words and you allow me to escape and dream for awhile.
I hope that when I travel more I can at least enchant you half as much as what you have me.
Thanks,
Love Bradley
4:59 PM
I want to visit!
I really haven't seen your sisters in a long time
either. Damn, I'm slacking in the Townshend
department.
Let's fix that.
- Little Roo ;)
5:00 PM
Hi Ria,
I'd heard you guys were all back in town, but didn't want to bother you until you felt like getting in touch. Finally, I was getting worried, so, glad to hear from you. I'm so happy that you are having fun and learning about both yourself and the world.
Bill said he'd love to have a bunch of pirates aboard the good ship Joshua. (Especially cute ones!) So if you guys really want to, we'll pick some decent weather and go on a rampage! ARRRRR!!! (I've even got a few swords!)
Love and hugs,
Uncle Steve and Aunt Adrienne
5:37 AM
You should try Cafe Javasti over on 5th and 80th...I used to work there as a barista (while in law school) and their crepes are Deeeeeelish!!
Glad you're home safe...we should get together soon--
Jen
9:39 AM
Excellent writing Riani! It's perfect, one of the best things I have read from you yet. The only thing I don't like is that last line... the dragon metaphor is waaaaay over-used (I am guilty of it in the past too). This is publishable me thinks.... arrrrrr (pirate)
much love, Jason