Flash before your eyes.

Saturday, August 25, 2007 3:12 AM Posted by javagold
It's been a long time since I've posted, I know - but I'm compelled to write tonight.

My friend Quanxing and I decided to hang out tonight, and probably head downtown for some laughs and dancing. I met him at the restaurant his family owns, in a busy area of Bangsar, an affluent neighborhood of Kuala Lumpur.

We decided to walk down to the main road to catch a cab, only a short walk from the busy row of restaurants. Strolling along, we talked about our plans for the future - his trip to China, my possible permanent move to KL. All of sudden, a dark car screeched to a halt in front of us, and two men with knives a foot and half long came out shouting. Quanxing yelled at me to run, as one started to attack him... I kicked off my heels and started to run, but the armed man quickly caught up. I threw my bag at him, and they yelled some more. Back to the car they went, and took off.

Quanxing was bleeding all over the place, and the car we stopped wouldn't help us. We ran back up the road to get help, when I realized how hurt he was. I tied a towel around his arm to stop the blood flow, and tried to stop the blood from seeping out of his deep and wide wound. In pain and in terror on the cold tiled floor, I debated over what to do. Leave him with the incompetent security guards just looking at him? Or go get help?

I ran back to the restaurant and got his aunt. In a flash, the police were there (lots of patrols, apparently it's a very high-risk area) and I fought with them to allow him to go to the hospital. Once Quanxing was safety on the way, I was escorted to the police station for my statement.

Perhaps I am used to police officers with a little bit of professionalism, but I didn't think asking me these following questions were relevant:

1. Are you married?
2. Do you have a boyfriend?
3. Where is your mother from?
4. Where were you born?
5. How many siblings do you have?
6. Where do you live? Who do you live with?

It was only until after my adopted Malay mom came that they started asking relevant questions. It made me so angry, because I felt they weren't respecting how traumatizing this was, or the fact that I my friend was at the hospital prepping for surgery.

In the end, my material losses were little. Perhaps $200 USD in total currencies (there was ringgit, rupiah and dollars in my wallet), my bathing suit (tanning in the morning), my makeup brushes and makeup, my wonderful, wonderful camera that I love, my sunglasses and credit cards etc.. As far as I was concerned, they could have it - my life was worth more than a few useless material possessions.

I also realize that it could have been far worse, they could have hurt me, they could have taken me with them... So in the end, I am thankful for my life, for my friends and family.

I started this journey because I felt life is too short to be unhappy. In those moments of panic and terror, I felt like my life was in jeopardy. And when that happens (let me tell you) you know instantly what is important to you.

Tell those you love, that you love them - with strong words and a hug. Call that person you've been meaning to call and forgive that person who trespassed against you. With all the events of today, all I can think is how much worse it could have been.

So I thank God, for everything - and for having YOU in my life.

Much love,
Riani

PS. My prayers are with Quanxing Mah and his family tonight. You are a true friend and I am deeply sorry this happened to you. I'll be by the hospital in the morning, hang in their buddy!

11 Response to "Flash before your eyes."

  1. Thugg1ns Says:

    I'm so very glad that you are safe, hon.

  2. Wa-nde-rren Says:

    holy crap!

    I'm glad you're ok!! when did this happen? How is Quanxing?
    were you able to cancel the credit cards in time? are you going to be able to get new ones while you're there? (or some way to get cash)...you still have your passport?

    and another topic...possible permanent move to Kuala Lumpur?

    miss you lots! I'm going crazy at my parents' house with no one here right now and nothing to do!

  3. Andrew Lee (SCAC) Says:

    I'm glad that you are okay, stay safe .

  4. Stone Jackson Says:

    I am glad you are safe and will pray for your friend. I am sorry dear one.
    -José

  5. Anonymous Says:

    Good lord...I am praying for you and your friend. You are such a strong woman and such a good friend. Your friend was lucky to have someone around who had their wits about them in such a terrifying situation. Please take deep breaths and feel everything that comes with something like this...it will save you a good deal of therapy in the end.

    Thinking of you in absurdly safe Seattle....Jenny

  6. Anonymous Says:

    Hi Ria,
    My heart almost stopped when I got your entry above. We want you to follow your bliss, but have always been aware of, and worried about, what could happen to you. Thank all the powers that be that you are safe!
    Your time at the police station and their preoccupation with your lifestyle and values, rather than the attack on you and your friend, might be a warning about that area as a place of residence for a brilliant, beautiful, independent young woman with a mind of her own, but that, of course, is your own decision.
    We are just so happy that Whoever flipped the coin of chance, it came down "Heads" this time. We pray that Quanxing Mah recovers with no ill effects. Please send him our love and best wishes.
    We know you don't want "mom and dad" type of advice, but please be careful. Don't ever let yourself be caught out in dark, lonely places again, even if they are full of people. There is so much love and beauty in the world to enjoy, but as you have discovered, there is an underside to be avoided.
    Much, much Love and many, many Hugs. Thank God you are safe!

    Uncle Steve & Aunt Adrienne

  7. Anonymous Says:

    My God Riani. What a truly terrorfying ordeal you've suffered. I hope you
    are not too traumatized and that you're friend is on the mend. It's hard to
    believe that such a thing would happen in KL but it just goes to show that
    nowhere's safe.

    Love and best wishes,
    Simon

  8. Anonymous Says:

    I'm glad to hear you are OK and I am sorry about your friend.

  9. Anonymous Says:

    Riani,
    Great to hear from you, but what a scary email! Thank God you're ok, and I'll keep Quanxing in my prayers.

    Take care - and send updates as you can...

    love (and grateful for your safety),
    m

  10. Anonymous Says:

    I can't imagine how scary that must have been, Riani. And for your friend,ohmigod. It is amazing that you are able to find some positives in appreciation of your life, your friends and family, the beauty in every day. It will probably take a while for the fear to recede and the memories to fade. Hang in there! Our thoughts are with you. Love, Kim

  11. Anonymous Says:

    Riani, sounds like a terrible ordeal to go through. I'm a bit surprised that your friend grabbed one of those guys who had a machette, as that's a dangerous thing to do. Giving your money and valuables is the easiest, but given the moment I guess I too would stand in front of bandits for a beautiful girl, a friend, family, etc. Your friend is very brave and you are lucky that he was there!

    I don't know him, but thank him from me.

    Take care of yourself in the dark areas of the world that need more caution than others!

    Love Bradley