Karen Chuan: True friends come once in a lifetime.

Karen and I first met in highschool, as two gangly teenagers trying to find our way through the socio-political climate at the Jakarta International School in Indonesia. Years and years later, thanks to my sister Danie's for thought, I got Karen's contact information while in Malaysia, where she lived. Although we've gotten older (and hopefully wiser) I don't think we've really changed that much. Karen's still her fun, goofy self - sporting the lastest faked fashion accessories and that brilliant smile of hers. I don't know what it is about the girls from JIS, but what I can say is it's been an honor knowing them as women.

Karen and I out together "on the town". I don't go out much these days, I'm quite the home body... So it's nice to catch up and have some fun. What I can say is that I really really really appriciate the SMOKING BAN IN ALL PUBLIC AREAS in my wonderful state on Washington. Bars, clubs, bus stops, offices, everything is smoke free. I swear I got lung cancer in my 3ish month trip to Southeast Asia.


This has got to be my faveorite picture, of Karen and I in the foreground and her guy friend Dik in the background... Our little monster. Dik and Karen were wonderful enough to take out of Kuala Lumpur for a day, to the "coast" (most of Malaysia is coastline) to go kayaking in the pretty gross water. But we did find a little cove to laze around on, play in the sand and take pictures in the(dirty) water. We later hiked up the big-ass hill to watch the sun set while being eaten alive by Mosquitos. Dinner at the hole-in-the-wall-side-of-the-street restaurant afterwards made the perfect end to an eventful day.


Andrew was able to meet some of the friends I had in highschool on our trip, and I hope it gave him a better understanding of the amazing community I came from. I only wished we had spent more time with you, Karen!

0 Response to "Karen Chuan: True friends come once in a lifetime."