Sawadee: Thailand's smooth as silk

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 12:57 AM Posted by javagold


Sorry it's taken me so long to get blogging again. It's been awhile and I'll have to back track a bit. Andrew and I travelled to Bangkok, planning to stay for a couple of days. We ended up staying for a week, since Andy managed to develop a severe case of broncitis. Thus, we unfortunetly spent most of our time in Bangkok in our hotel room.

After the 5th day and a record high fever, I had enough. I took him to the hospital (which was across the street). Thankfully, Bangkok has a steller medical system and he recieved first-rate treatment. Our doctor was fantastic; well trained and spoke perfect English. He even chatted with us about Mount Rainer and the Seattle weather. (He's visited several times). What was even more impressive was the speedy service, the hotel-like atmosphere and most of all... the bill. The whole hospital bill, meds included came to $38 USD. Perhaps there is something that America can learn from the Thai system for Medical Treatment. All we can say, is that we were impressed.

In between fevers and doctor's visits, Andy and I did manage to get in a couple of days of touristy sight-seeing. These few precious hours are where most of our photos and stories come from. I doubt you want to hear about us lounging around in the hotel room, washing socks and other clothing since we ran out... And ordering Pizza Hut because we couldn't find a decent place to eat.

So, the exciting thing we did manage to see includes the following:
The Temple of the Dawn, the Grande Palace, the Emerald Buddha and the famous Thai markets.

Arun Wat (Temple of the Dawn) was our first stop on the boat ride up the river. It was stunning structure, know for its huge porcelin Stuppa which glitters in the rising sun. We walked around the impressive temple, climbed its steep slopes and admired its majesty. The boat man had originally told us we had 20 minutes to enjoy our visit, but we blew it by about 30 minutes. I figured, we paid $25 for his services... He can wait for us all day.




The Royal Barge Museum was next, where guilded and carved boats built 100 years ago for the Royal Families' river procession are on display. Amoung the decorations were sterns carved in the shape of dragons, sea serpents and Buddhist Gods. Check out the photos, since they tell the story better than my crappy journalism ever could.

Our last stop took us to the Thai Grande Palace, which also cannot be expressed in words. Photos even fail its majesty, mystery and beauty. The glittering facades, golden orbs and soaring rooftops are only the begining. It takes your breath away. It calms your inner spirit and fills your heart with unimaginable wonder.

You MUST visit this sacred and hallowed ground.

So, beyond that and the Thai night and weekend markets, there really wasn't much else. I guess we were kinda dissapointed with Bangkok. Perhaps we'll go back again sometime, with no medical problems and a set itinerary.... Other than that, I only have some Misc stuff to tell you about.

There were many little quirks about Bangkok that I must comment on. This is one of them.



  • Something about Ronald being culturally sensitive doesn't sit well with me. I mean, this is Mc Donald's, they were selling beef burgers in Hindu India only 20 years ago!
  • Down the street from the hotel was, yes, a Starbucks. And across the street no more than 100 feet away, was, yes, a Starbucks. Ahhh... Some things never change, no matter where you are. If Mc Donald's is the unofficial Embassy of the United States of America, than Starbucks is its Counselate.

  • The Thai's on the most part think they can speak english. They can not, and even those who can, you have a very hard time understanding. This was a major caveat in Thai hospitality... Which meant I learn as much Thai as I possibly could in the 7 days we were there.

  • Here are a couple of common phrases:

Sawadee Kah/Krap = Hello (Kah on the end for girls, Krap for boys)
Sabaidee Mai Kah/Krap = How are you?
Sabaidee Kah/Krap = I'm good
Alloy Ma = This is yummy

Neng = 1
Song = 2
Sam = 3
See = 4
Ha = 5
Hong = 6
Teyet = 7
Paat= 8
Cow = 9
Sip = 10

  • Andy and I spent a lot of time in the hotel, especially since he was sick. Needless to say, we got to know the staff pretty well. And the staff (the guys) seemed to love Andy to death. They were always touching him, his back, his sholders, his arm. It seems though, that in Thailand, like many other parts of Asia, men show their friendship to each other in physical ways... It's common to see them holding hands as they walk down the street - which carries no conatation of homosexuality. Although it didn't seem to bother Andy too much, I was getting a little irritated. I guess I'm the jealous type. =)

Anyway. It's 1:30 am and I have to get up early tommorow. I'll continue on with our endevours soon since we're traveling on to Singapore.

1 Response to "Sawadee: Thailand's smooth as silk"

  1. Anonymous Says:

    Wait WHAT?? You couldn't find anywhere decent to eat in Bangkok? Its only got the best food in the world! Every dang stall on the street and random noodle shop is awesome! (And safe -- too much chili to make you sick!)