On your Mark: Jet Set and Go

Asian Adventures
On your mark: Jet Set and Go.

“When are we leaving again?” I asked for the 14th time. Andy rolls his eyes, and refuses to answer my question.

When it comes to flying internationally, I am a travel Nazi. Departure time’s and date’s are double and triple checked, passports are secured and checked before leaving the house, the car at the airport, the check-in counter. Luggage is weighed, contents are catalogued and secured. My suitcase was off-limits to miscellaneous Andy-crap, while all liquid holding items zip-locked and shoes bagged.

Still, with all this careful planning and militancy, I discovered that a 4am flight schedule still creates havoc and anarchy. Amidst the packing of (amongst other strange things) a DVD player, cordless drill and sweaters for the tropics I managed to sacrifice my wallet to the gods of last-minute packing. Andy still seems bemused, but as smart as he is, keeps his mouth shut.

12 hours to Taipei, Taiwan went by pretty quickly, since we slept most the way. They fed us multiple meals, which Andy isn’t used to since US airlines ration the drinks and pretzels.. In Taipei we went on a quest to find postcards to send to my sisters. The duty-free agents gave us blank faces, but we found some at the book store. Apparently, charging $.62 to you Visa isn’t possible, and the lady was kind enough to let us take them. The Duty-free agents smiled as we passed, with me waving it in the air, saying “Postcard!”

Side Note: Apparently, there was a Typhoon that we just missed (the airport was closed the day before) and another one the day after we left (the airport closed again). Talk about the right timing!

The flight from Taipei to Manila have some merits to mention. Among them were individual screens (with games, movies and tracking), better food, and metal knives, red and white wine. We finally touched into Metro Manila at 12 noon, thoroughly exhausted but determined to defeat the Jetlag.

Flying those long distances, are still my least favourite parts of the travelling. At least I had someone I loved by my side and someone to pick us on the other end.

0 Response to "On your Mark: Jet Set and Go"